Saturday, January 22, 2005

New Year's Resolutions

I've never been a big New Year's Resolution-kind of person.

I always hated it when people went around the table at a New Year's Eve party and made everyone say their resolutions. I always tried to think up something smart and sincere-sounding that would impress people (because, as a narcissistic teenager, sucking up was my forte). Usually it was something along the lines of, I want to be a better person, I want to be more responsible, I want to be more considerate of the needs of others. I probably kind of meant it. But something like that doesn't make a very good resolution because, really, how do you follow through on something like that? I mean, what would your daily to-do list look like?

Friday, January 7th
1. Read for class
2. Do laundry
3. Get groceries
4. Apologize to everyone I've ever wronged
5. Vacuum

Most people resolve to do things like exercise or quit smoking. I'm only a social smoker and I don't care enough about it either way to make it into a whole resolution. So this year I decided that I was going to try to exercise. Not even because I necessarily want to lose a bunch of weight (and I know I don't *need* to -- though thanks to the skinny, youth-obsessed media "want" and "need" are different here), but for a little bit last year I was in really good shape and it would be cool to feel that way again.

So I decided I'd start exercising once I got back to Chicago (I was visiting my parents over the holidays). And of course, as soon as I get back, I get sick. For two weeks. So I would set my alarm to wake me up early in the morning, and my throat would hurt so much I couldn't realistically make myself go to the gym. I'm really not a morning exerciser anyway. In the morning I'm cold and tired, my muscles are tighter, I feel like I just don't get as much out of the workout. But I'm always at school in the afternoon, and often into the evening (if it's not a debate, it's a rehearsal for the Law School Musical -- yes, we have a musical -- or a wine tasting. Yeah, I know. Boo friggin' hoo). So mornings it will have to be. Yet, here it is, almost the end of January, and I *still* haven't gotten to the gym.

This morning, I changed that. Granted, I woke up about three hours later than I had planned, and spent some time chatting with a girlfriend before finally going, but I actually made it to the gym! For a whole thirty minutes. When I limped back up to my apartment half an hour later I was a little saddened by how miserably out of shape I've gotten. But, hey, at least it's a start.

And on the plus side, since I've waited so long to get back to the gym, I've missed the New Year's Resolution crowd. I'm sure they've all totally quit by now.

4 Comments:

At January 22, 2005 at 7:47 PM, Blogger Micah said...

A law school musical? Interesting. I've long loathed musicals, but one day in college I was browsing the CDs in the library and checked out "South Pacific" on a whim. I listened to it repeatedly while I pulled an all-nighter writing a paper. Ever since then, that would be the paper-writing CD for me. Still don't really like musicals except for "Rocky Horror" and "Guys and Dolls."

One of my resolutions this year is to learn to tie a bow tie. Haven't even started.

 
At January 23, 2005 at 10:50 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I've never seen/heard "South Pacific" -- I'll have to check that one out.

Since I'm here in Chicago, I recently got to see Spamalot, the new Monty Python musical. If you're a Monty Python fan (I'm a huge one), it's great fun. The Law School Musical is also great fun, but much more inside-joke-y.

Good luck with the bow tie. One of my guy friends once showed me how to tie a plain old regular tie, but I've long since forgotten how. I feel bad for men, having to wear those. Of course, at least you don't have to worry about pantyhose.

 
At January 23, 2005 at 7:55 PM, Blogger Micah said...

A Monty Python musical? I'm intrigued.

A bow tie is a comletely different beast than a necktie. The latter is really easy to tie, but the former - that's a mystery. Mo Rocca has said that the only reason why men wear bow ties is to show off to others that they can tie them.

And who says I don't have to worry about panty hose? :)

 
At January 24, 2005 at 9:55 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I like the idea of manly showboating boiling down to whether one can tie a bowtie. I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor.

I hope you had better luck with the pantyhose than Mel Gibson.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home