Monday, November 21, 2005

Lead-brained

I hope this isn't catching on.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed with increasingly frequency (whether this is due to actual increased frequency or just me paying better attention, I don't know) people using the word "lead" where the context clearly suggests past tense.

I understand that "lead" has two pronunciations, depending upon how the word is used. If it's used as a verb, it takes the long "ee" sound. If it's used as a noun, it takes the short "eh" sound.

Some people have apparently gotten their homonyms confused. The past tense of "lead" (or its negative, "mislead") is "led" (or "misled"), not "lead" (or "mislead"). This is basic stuff, right? A second-grader ought to know this. Yet the improper spelling has turned up in more legal briefs than I care to have read lately.

Em Eye thee only won hoo proofreads anymore?

4 Comments:

At November 21, 2005 at 3:23 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Don't get me started on misuse (or non-use, really) of adverbs.

 
At November 21, 2005 at 3:36 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I just found another one.

"Reigned in"???

Come ON, people!

 
At November 21, 2005 at 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, that is the exact reason why they named the band "led" zeppelin, because they said the americans wouldn't pronounce it correctly if they spelled it "lead"

 
At November 21, 2005 at 8:57 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

stupid Americans. Sheesh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home