Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Sorry for the feminist doubling-up...

...but I just HAVE to remark on this.

So, it looks like the Supreme Court will be deciding if Anna Nicole gets a share of Dirty Old Man's fortune. But, you may be surprised, my feminist issue of the day doesn't have to do with whether she gets anything. Instead, I'm taking issue with CNN's reporting. In addition to being Just Plain Bad grammatically, it's blatantly sexist. Take a look at this quote:

""That's just not the way our system works," said Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the only woman justice who was especially feisty in her questioning."

I'll start with grammar. First off, she's the only *female* justice ("woman" is a noun. I HATE it when people use "woman" as an adjective. HATE HATE HATE). Second, either the other female justice on the court (um? Who are they referring to there? I mean, I don't care how pretty Roberts is...) wasn't as "feisty," or somebody's editor forgot to insert a comma!

Moving on -- actually, I will give you guys a minute to guess what the problem is. Take a look at that quote. You know there's a problem there.

...

...

...

Think you know what it is yet? All right. In addition to confusing nouns with adjectives, CNN's writers apparently don't know which adjectives are appropriate to describe our esteemed Supreme Court Justices. Justice Ginsburg was "feisty"?? "Feisty"????????? Can you imagine anyone ever describing Scalia as "feisty"? I bet he'd even have that cute-when-he's-angry thing going too. Awwwww, isn't it adorable how he's playing like one of the big kids? The little guy just keeps getting up and fighting! What a cutie!!! Oh my gosh! Did you see how he just snapped at Thomas? Ooooooo what if they get in a catfight?? A feisty SCOTUS catfight!!!

Gah. I just. Ick. You SUCK, cnn.com and Associated Press.

UPDATE: CNN has posted another version of the story, removing the reference to feistiness and replacing it with a longer version of Ginsburg's quote. Do they read my blog?

13 Comments:

At February 28, 2006 at 6:28 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

Yup, a big fat WTF to feisty.

I did a triple-take on "feisty."

(Not to mention wondering whether there was another female justice on the Court of whom I was not aware...)

 
At February 28, 2006 at 7:00 PM, Blogger JCA said...

Maybe the author merely meant that Justice Ginsburg reminded him of Leslie Feist.

 
At February 28, 2006 at 7:37 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

odderie -- you'd think if someone was going to subtly slam women he/she could at least be grammatically correct about it.

jca -- The Singing Justice! Then I'd *really* be bummed about the no-cameras rule ;)

 
At February 28, 2006 at 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On an unrelated note, this was Chicago's semifinal moot court case this year. No one on the panel was female, but all were feisty.

 
At February 28, 2006 at 8:16 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

On a related unrelated note, none other than Rich aka Daddy Pose is a moot court finalist. Congrats, Daddy P!

 
At February 28, 2006 at 9:00 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Ohmygod DP way to go!!

But I already could've told everyone that my favorite fake federal judge was awesome -- after all, we were water polo teammates.

 
At March 1, 2006 at 5:26 AM, Blogger JCA said...

RIIIIIIIIIICH!!!

~ ~ waves ~ ~

 
At March 1, 2006 at 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for blowing my cover, Odderie. Jeesh. Good help is hard to find these days.

But in all honesty, thanks for the congrats. One more brief, one more oral argument and then I am done.

Also, on an unrelated note, your blog takes SO long to load as it tries to get info from truthlaidbare.com (or something similar). Anyway to speed up the process? I'm impatient, ITWP teammate.

 
At March 1, 2006 at 10:35 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Rich, I was noticing the same thing yesterday, but the problem seems to be gone now? The loading issue was affecting some other blogspot blogs I read too, so I think the problem may have been with blogger. If it's still slow for you, though, let me know.

And congrats again, teammate! Don't be so modest. What with all your musical awesomeness, we knew you were a champ way back in your 1L year. Did you break out into a rendition of Bye Saul Bye to celebrate the end of your free time? :D

 
At March 1, 2006 at 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No singing or dancing as of late. And this has been one of my most immodest moments: after the oral argument, I was okay with saying that it went really well, where I normally would just critique myself ad naseum.

The blog has been okay today, but it has gone in cycles of being hard to load. I haven't mentioned it before because I had nothing else to comment about, and that kept the transaction costs too high. Whoa, remember transaction costs? Good times...

 
At March 1, 2006 at 12:05 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Hmmmmm, I will see if I can figure out what the problem is. Maybe republishing will speed it up?

Transactions costs, lol! I'm glad that this post was deemed worthy of your time ;)

 
At March 1, 2006 at 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say, I miss the law fairy. And our bathing suit-clad time together.

 
At March 3, 2006 at 4:10 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Awww, Rich, I miss you too! With or withou... er... in a swimsuit or fully clothed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home