Monday, May 02, 2005

H2O Smackdown!

I've discovered water polo. Innertube water polo, to be exact.

This turns out to be an important distinction. I talked on the phone to my dad after tonight's game. He asked what I'd been up to. I told him: "I just got back from playing water polo." "Whoa!" He was clearly impressed. "You must be tired," he said. "I am," I answered truthfully, "oh, but we play it with innertubes." "Ohhhh," he said, sounding considerably less impressed. There was a brief pause. "So how's life?" he finally asked.

It's okay. We may not get the respect of people who waste their energy treading water, but we still work damn hard. I'm going to wake up so sore tomorrow. But the good kind of sore. I think. Um, hope. And next time I play, I will definitely not have nachos and a beer before I go. Bleah.

So I got to the pool today, absolutely freezing cold (I rinsed off in the locker room before walking out to the pool. Fellow pool patrons, you're welcome), when one of my teammates who, for, um, absolutely no particular reason, we'll call Judge Posner, walks up to me. I was shivering, which he noted and then pointed out that he had worn shorts to the gym (it was like thirty degrees today. Damn Chicago weather). I glared at him. "Hey," he said, "why haven't you blogged about water polo?" I looked at him, eyebrows raised. "How do you know my blog??" It didn't bother me, since I'm only kind of quasi-anonymous, but my own notoriety surprised me. It also reminded me that I probably shouldn't post anything I wouldn't want my entire law school reading. Damn. Maybe I should make another blog for that. Judge Posner couldn't recall how he'd stumbled upon my blog, but he was certain it was me. "Am I that transparent?" I asked. "It's not that," he said, "but if someone had had a few conversations with you, they would know it was you. You write like you talk." I thought about that for a minute. It could be either very good or very bad. If my writing style is too colloquial, that may explain the downward trend in my grades (sigh). But if it isn't, then maybe I talk like a robot. Shit. Those are both bad.

I stop this unpleasant train of thought and pay attention to Judge Posner, who, as mentioned before, asked me: "why haven't you blogged about water polo?" Finally, I answer him. "Well," I said, "I haven't posted for a few days and I can't think of anything else to write about, so maybe I will post about water polo." I said this envisioning an exciting victory like the first game I played two weeks ago (we REALLY whipped that team. It was awesome). Instead, we got our asses kicked. Dammit. Well, we'll totally come back next week.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, you never know where you will find a fan of your blog. And it's really fun to name your friends after federal judges.

2 Comments:

At May 3, 2005 at 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out. And I think it's great that you write like you talk, at least in this forum. On motions to dismiss, well, you might want to alter your writing a wee bit.

 
At May 3, 2005 at 2:57 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

np, jp. Always nice to know my friends in the judiciary are keeping an eye on my goings-about.

You know you like my colloquial MTDs. Rowrr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home