Saturday, April 23, 2005

The last gasp

It seems lately that all of my friends are enjoying the fine cuisine at Charlie Trotter's. The other day JCA took her mentor out for a celebratory meal. Another friend was treated to a fancy birthday dinner a couple of weeks ago (you see, this is why I need a boyfriend). The summer before I started law school I worked as a waitress at a nice (not Charlie Trotter-nice, but still a good bet for a fancy evening) restaurant. Before I left, the head chef stressed to me that I must eat at Charlie Trotter's before leaving Chicago. "It's crazy expensive," he explained, "but it's worth it. That was the best meal I ate in my life. His food makes mine look like puppy chow." I promised to make the effort.

Now, nearly three years later I realize I haven't made good on that promise. My parents are flying out for my graduation (awww) so the other day I suggested to my mom that Charlie Trotter's might be a nice place for a graduation dinner (this has the added benefit of co-opting my dad into treating. Score!). She promised to try to convince my dad.

So tonight I thought, for fun, I'd take a look at the website. I went first to general information, which recommended that you make reservations ten to twelve weeks in advance for weekends. Wow, I thought, that's a lot of time. I calculated forward to graduation weekend to figure out how close I would be cutting it if I made reservations next week, and then it hit me: graduation is less than ten weeks away! In less than three months, I will be a law school graduate. With any luck, a few months after that I can call myself a legitimate California lawyer. Wow. Life can really creep up on you.

Now, instead of thinking sobering thoughts, I think I'll watch Saturday Night Live.

2 Comments:

At April 24, 2005 at 12:37 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Yeah, impending graduation has a tendency to hit you at some point. It's at once exciting and scary. Well, it was for me, at least - you've already got a cushy job lined up, though. Plus, I'm the type that loves school.

As for Charlie Trotter's, it sounds like a cool place. I've always been one to think a really good meal is worth the money. You've got to eat, might as well enjoy it. Every time I go to Vegas, I try to splurge on a fancy meal, as there are a bunch of nice restaurants in that town.

 
At April 25, 2005 at 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're going!! You will LOVE it. Trotter's on a Friday night shouldn't require *that* much lead time, though. We booked last week's fest maybe 2-3 weeks out, tops. Of course, since all of us are graduating on the same day, maybe they get a graduation-party stampede :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home