Friday, March 10, 2006

Using my powers for good

Today I evaded the gravitational forces of evil. For a couple hours, at least.

Through one of my firm's pro bono programs I got to help finalize an adoption today. It was me, actual lawyer, helping my client file all the paperwork and making sure she understood everything and got everything taken care of in a timely manner.

It's not technically billable time but I get a kind of credit for it.

But even more importantly, I did something good today. I helped make a real live family's life better. There's very little in the world that can match the feeling I got today when my client legally became the girl's mom.

Man, I wanna do that again.

9 Comments:

At March 10, 2006 at 8:57 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

Warm and fuzzies!

Law firms...pshaw! Who needs 'em! :)

 
At March 10, 2006 at 9:04 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

well, they do come in handy with the bills ;)

Now if only I could build a machine that could turn warm fuzzies into net monetary profit...

 
At March 10, 2006 at 9:16 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

I see that Ol' Uncle Law School has taught you well.

 
At March 11, 2006 at 7:10 AM, Blogger Micah said...

Now go be evil.

 
At March 11, 2006 at 9:00 AM, Blogger JCA said...

aw yay, sweetness and light for the whole family!

Remember, it's our profession that makes these things happen.

The More You Know :)

 
At March 11, 2006 at 10:53 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

odderie -- you really should have followed that up with a "MWAHAHAHAHAHA" :)

micah -- two steps ahead of you, my friend!

jca -- I'm changing your initials to nbc. As in "nbc public service announcement" or "nbc after-school movie of the day" :)

 
At March 12, 2006 at 3:25 PM, Blogger Roonie said...

That's the key: "I did something good today." I'm proud of ya.

 
At March 13, 2006 at 1:59 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

:) Thanks!

I'm kinda proud of me too :)

 
At March 19, 2006 at 6:04 PM, Blogger mythago said...

Lean on your firm to let you 'bill' pro bono.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home