Monday, March 05, 2007

My evil, evil brother

Yes, he is so evil that he gets two "evil"s.

Damn him. He's gotten me hooked on another TV show, and he knows how I am when I get hooked on a TV show. In a previous life, I swear he was a drug pusher.

Now, I've heard lots of great things about Battlestar Galactica. Everyone who watches it says it's fantastic (which is rare for a Sci-Fi original. Nothing against the channel -- they show some of my favorite old TV shows and movies -- but their original content generally leaves much to be desired). Friends who know my tastes have urged me to watch it. But I rarely get into a show more than half a season after its premiere. I have enough commitments as it is (as you can see from my last post).

But that didn't deter my brother. Oh no. He took it upon himself to send me links to a website that had a cheap sale running on the DVDs (with free shipping!). And then he nagged me every day for a week to buy it. "LF," he intoned, "Have you bought BSG yet? It's SO GOOD. You HAVE to watch it."

So finally I caved, if only to get him to shut up about it. This past Thursday night, they arrived, and I happened to be on the phone with him when I got home and stumbled upon the package.

"Okay, I'm gonna let you go so you can watch," he said, "You have to watch the first episode tonight." He wouldn't let me off the phone until I promised to watch it.

Okay, first, as a warning to anyone who buys or rents these DVDs -- the first "episode" is longer than most movies (since the show started off as a miniseries, which my brother conveniently failed to mention). I got to sleep waaay too late, and didn't even finish it.

Second, watch this show at your peril. My entire weekend is gone. I watched the whole first season this weekend.

The entire first season.

Took up my whole damn weekend.

And now I've gone and shelled out more money for season 2, which is evilly broken up into two separate sets (capitalist bastards). I almost paid extra for expedited shipping, but I have a ton of work to catch up on now, since I barely got anything done all weekend. Since I spent it on my ass camped out in front of the stupid telly.

Evil, evil brother. He's done this before, too. He's the reason I've joined the ranks of Firefly mourners.

And anyone who is caught up on the show (Andy, this means you) had better not spoil it in the comments. I will be very unhappy and unpleasant.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At March 5, 2007 at 7:16 PM, Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I can so relate. We bought the first season of NYPD Blue* and watched it all in a few days. (Even worse, we had SEEN the show when it originally aired about a thousand years ago.) Then, of course, we had to get the second season, another $40. Ka-ching.

But now when there is nothing new on, we have a fallback. Plan B. And those shows are as excellent now as they were all those years ago.

* Variously known as The Dennis Franz Show and The Andy Sipowitz Hour. Who knew that a fat, bald guy who constantly wipes his brow while sneering could be soooo .. seductive?

 
At March 6, 2007 at 1:13 PM, Blogger Andy said...

but their original content generally leaves much to be desired

What are you talking about? Mansquito was awesome. [kidding]

Yay, another convert! I will try not to spoil things for you. My policy, though, is, if the show has aired, it's no longer a spoiler to talk about the plot. Though I suppose I should still put disclaimers on.

I am the same way. I only started watching BSG because my friends made me watch it every Friday night, but it didn't take long for me to get hooked. I probably would NEVER have chosen to watch it if I hadn't been forced to. Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing.

 
At March 6, 2007 at 2:10 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

heart, yup. Those DVD sets will SUCK YOU IN. But you're totally right, it does make for a good back-up if there's really nothing on the TV. If you can refrain from watching them the instant you get them, that is. Can't say I've fallen under Mr. Franz's spell of sexyness... I will take your word that it exists ;)

Andy, fair enough -- I guess I can't ask people to write their blogs JUST for me ;) I'll skim to avoid your BSG posts for now... I can't promise that I won't go back and comment on months-old posts after I've finally seen the relevant episode, though :0)

I'd been thinking about watching it eventually, sometime because I've been hearing about it EVERYWHERE -- but my brother was the nagging force that made me sit down and actually watch it. No turning back now!

Hehehe. Mansquito.

 
At March 6, 2007 at 6:50 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Once you burn through the second season next weekend (and you well, b/c it's the best one so far) you know you can get all the season 3 episodes on iTunes for $1.99 apiece, right?

No need to thank me.

(I just got caught up last month myself.)

 
At March 6, 2007 at 7:51 PM, Blogger lakhawk said...

What loojie and I weren't convincing in the months we've been telling you to try it?! Wasn't the fact that *I* was into a SciFi show enough to tell you just how good it is? Just wait, it gets so awesome.

 
At March 6, 2007 at 7:51 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Brian, such knowledge is dangerous in the hands of a maniac. I had simply planned to patiently wait until season 3 was out on DVD.

I shudder to think what advice you must give to heroin addicts.

(oh, and thank you. On behalf of me and Steve Jobs) ;)

 
At March 6, 2007 at 7:54 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Lak, I just google-searched my gmail and only Loojie has mentioned it, one time, in one of those random quiz things (in July 06), saying it was one of the four shows she watched. But you guys SO have not been nagging me about it.

Ha! I do too listen!

 
At March 6, 2007 at 7:56 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Oh, also, lak, you need to update your blog. Update already! :)

 
At March 7, 2007 at 8:05 AM, Blogger Gino said...

i dont do spaceship shows. could never get into it.
i am, i think, the only one alive who has yet to see one single star wars episode.

but, i've seen season 1, dvd set of the young riders about 6 times now.

 
At March 7, 2007 at 8:57 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Wow, gino. I had to look up Young Riders on imdb to figure out what it was. Our tastes could not be more different ;)

ALTHOUGH -- you may want to check out Firefly/Serenity (show/movie). It's a western sci-fi (sci-fi western?), which sounds weird but actually works extremely well. I HATE westerns but I LOVE Firefly. Maybe a non-sci-fi person could appreciate its western bent, much like I, a non-western person, appreciate its sci-fi bent? :)

 
At March 7, 2007 at 8:58 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Actually, now that I think about it, probably the series (Firefly) would be a better bet than the movie. I think the movie was more sci-fi heavy than the series.

 
At March 7, 2007 at 7:55 PM, Blogger Gino said...

you just might find some redeeming qualities in young riders.
one character is a girl disgueisd as a boy to get the job, and she can shoot and ride alongside the 'men'.
she's also kinda cute.
but then, i like a cute gal who knows how handle a weapon. its the perfect woman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home