Thursday, October 27, 2005

Hmmm... can we sign up for each other's benefit plans now?

I got a glimpse of the other team last night.

I was in a funk when I came to work yesterday morning, and it showed in an email exchange I was having with a few friends. My sensitive and concerned friend Sarah picked up on it and asked what was wrong. I followed up with a list of complaints and stated that I needed a drink. Sarah agreed with me and we decided to meet for drinks after work.

Drinks turned into dinner at the Nick & Stef's downtown. As the waiter directed us to our seats he gave me the wine list. I shot Sarah a "neener-neener" look and proclaimed: "I have the wine list. Ha ha ha!"

The waiter looked apologetic. "You just looked like you were going to pay."

"Hmmm," I said to Sarah, "I think he just called me the man!"

The poor embarrassed waiter suddenly had other things to attend to.

Later, the wine steward brought us the bottle we'd chosen. Sarah had actually picked the wine out, but I had decided to ask the waiter about vintages and asked for the one he recommended. The wine steward showed me the bottle. I nodded and looked at Sarah: "Did you want to taste it?"

"Oh!" the steward apologized, "Sorry, they said you ordered it."

"I did," I reassured her, "She's just the one who had picked it out -- but it doesn't matter. We're both wine lovers."

"We can both taste it," smiled Sarah, "We'll both be the man tonight!"

The wine steward joined us in a laugh.

"Ahh, LA," I said, "It's nice that you can make jokes like that here and not be treated weird."

The wine steward gave a fuhgedaboudit shrug. "It's not a big deal," she said, "it's just normal, you know. I know bunches of gay people."

As she poured our wine she mentioned how she loved going shopping with her gay (male, presumably) friends.

After she had left, Sarah gave me A Look. "Did she think..."

"Yeah. She thinks we're a lesbian couple."

And I wasn't even wearing my Birkenstocks.

15 Comments:

At October 27, 2005 at 3:28 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

Hilarious.

I laughed out loud in the GL. :)

 
At October 27, 2005 at 6:34 PM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Hi, I hope it is alright that I jumped over here from Captain Pikard's Journal? This was a way funny post and I,too, laughed aloud several times. I'm originally from California so I understand this completely!!! *Big Sigh* So funny!

 
At October 27, 2005 at 8:08 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

odderie -- GL laughter is the most fun kind. Esp. when a prof is walking by and looks at you funny for making such a ruckus. Ahhh, law school.

mc -- thanks for stopping by! Of course, you're welcome here anytime! I'm glad you liked the post :)

I *heart* the Captain :)

 
At October 29, 2005 at 7:34 AM, Blogger Micah said...

This seems like the best place to post it, what with talk of lesbians and Picard:

George Takai is gay.

I'm sure you've heard the news, but I thought you'd be interested.

 
At October 31, 2005 at 9:49 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

micah -- I did hear, thanks. I made a point of sending the article to my dad, with whom we have a running joke that he and George Takei are buddies. Apparently they met **years** ago (when my mom was pregnant with me) at some cocktail reception for the governor or something (this was when my parents lived in California). Dad has always joked about how he's his "good buddy George," since our whole nerdy family likes Star Trek.

God, that was like TMI or something.

 
At October 31, 2005 at 3:22 PM, Blogger Micah said...

So, if George Takai weighs the same as a duck...he's made of wood...and, therefore...you're dad's gay.

 
At October 31, 2005 at 4:33 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Whoa...

I was wondering why I had that strange dream of becoming a newt...

 
At October 31, 2005 at 4:44 PM, Blogger Micah said...

But you got better.

And for the record, I've become what I hate. The whole "your v. you're" thing (and other grammatical issues) is a pet peeve of mine. And what did I just do?

 
At October 31, 2005 at 4:52 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

It'll be our little secret -- we won't let it go beyond just you and I.

 
At October 31, 2005 at 5:58 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Aw, thanks.

I'm also going to buy an iPod when I've been very anti-iPod for years, so there's another contradiction I have to live with.

 
At October 31, 2005 at 7:21 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I heart my ipod

 
At November 1, 2005 at 9:17 AM, Blogger Micah said...

For years I've maintained that you can get the same quality for a much cheaper price and that's been generally true. But that shiny new iPod they introduced is distracting me. And after playing with some family members' iPods, they really are great devices. Plus, Apple is finally pricing them a little bit saner.

 
At November 1, 2005 at 9:23 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Shiny...

And I just love that you run the whole thing with a little round pad. No mass of confusing buttons, just a magical little round pad that responds to the faintest touch.

Apple does not have enough street cred. If not for compatability issues I would probably own one instead of my HP.

 
At November 1, 2005 at 5:15 PM, Blogger Micah said...

My brother bought an Apple last year and LOVES it (he does a lot of music recording). He's even turned into the type that puts an Apple sticker on his SUV. Yeah, he's that guy.

I told him of my intentions of buying an iPod and he said that'll be my first step into Appledom. Maybe...

 
At November 2, 2005 at 8:27 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I can hear Steve Jobs cackling somewhere in the background...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home