Monday, October 24, 2005

Shudder

So I'm a bit bored at work (I guess something about me not being licensed yet makes them reluctant to give me tons and tons of work -- weirdos) and I've been browsing through some of my old posts from this summer. As I've done so, I've been reliving the horrid madness that was barbri and pre-exam stress (incidentally, this is just reinforcing how very badly I want to have passed). I've also realized that barbri, like any cram method, hasn't taught me much in the way of lasting knowledge. I remember thinking during barbri, "gosh! This is all so much simpler and straightforward than 1L year! Torts actually makes sense!" (Those of you who did not have my torts professor are probably scratching your heads, wondering how someone could go through three years of law school and never "get" torts. You're wondering this because you had torts professors who taught Torts. I had a torts professor who taught Economics and Rational Game Theory. Which really ought to be an upper level elective instead). And now I seriously can't remember a thing from barbri. I mean, maybe one or two of those weird mnemonic devices, but that's about it.

So, reading through the horrible old posts reminded me that last week I had my first nightmare since the bar exam. It was brought on by an episode of Grey's Anatomy I had TiVo'd.

SPOILER OF LAST WEEK'S EPISODE (NOT LAST NIGHT'S)

Alex, the medical intern everyone loves to hate, receives news that he has failed his medical boards. He's told not to worry, since he can keep his job and the hospital will continue to pay him and give him time to study, and he can retake it in four months. If he fails again, though, he's out.

I literally got chills. I'm sure every recent California law grad also got chills. Evilest. Storyline. Ever.

I've also learned that the California Bar's website has a countdown until the release of results. Sadistic bastards.

So, I'm going back to my policy of not thinking about it. Because thinking about it just gives me a yucky feeling, right there in the pit of my stomach. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At October 24, 2005 at 3:50 PM, Blogger JCA said...

yeah, WTF is up with the countdown? Not like the wait doesn't smart enough already.

For what it's worth, I had a terrific torts professor and still failed to retain any meaningful understanding of torts post-Barbri. Amazing, the elasticity of the human short-term memory. (Except that I think mine has stretch marks.)

 
At October 24, 2005 at 4:32 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I'm still claiming the prize for worst torts class. In theory, it sounds cool to have a torts class comprised of stories about bear-fighting and kabuki theatre... but somehow he just manages to make it boring and self-important. Not that that should surprise anyone from our school.

 
At October 24, 2005 at 7:26 PM, Blogger Micah said...

I'm sure you'll pass.

I had a great torts professor - a wee Scottish lady who looked like Harry Potter when she wore her glasses. I don't remember anything, either. Of course, I failed the bar...

Wanna talk about nightmare professor - my evidence prof. I could tell you some stories.

 
At October 24, 2005 at 7:52 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

Bear-fighting and kabuki theatre???

It seems he tells the same stories every year.

 
At October 24, 2005 at 8:50 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Micah -- Oh man. A wee Scottish girl Harry Potter professor... now THAT sounds cool. My evidence prof was also a tad scary, but she also totally rocked so I liked her class even though I was terrified of her exam.

Odderie -- he's no creative art-school type, that's for sure.

 
At October 26, 2005 at 4:15 PM, Blogger JCA said...

DONJURO HAI!

 
At October 26, 2005 at 5:16 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

eyyyeyeyyyeyyyhhhhh.....

I'm guessing you're an only child!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home