Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Corporate world: 1; FAA: 0

T-shirt Hell is offering its customers free transportation to their intended destinations if they are kicked off of their airline flight for wearing one of the website's offensive t-shirts (its designs features such slogans as "The Koran... now in two ply!" and "What about all the good things Hitler did?"). This offer follows a recent incident on Southwest Airlines, wherein a woman was forced to de-board when she refused to remove an offensive t-shirt she was wearing as a joke. That story can be found here.

While the t-shirt was not one of T-shirt Hell's designs, the love-it-or-hate-it website has faced its own share of problems in the past, including an attempt on the life of its founder and owner, Aaron Schwarz.

I have to admire their tenacity. Whether their shirts make you choke or laugh, they have a strange sort of courage. That they're backing it up with actions (and money) is reason to respect them, in my opinion. Apparently FAA regulations allow this kind of infringement on free speech. Well, I'm glad that one private business is trying to take them to task for it. It's one thing for certain airlines to decide, we only want polite customers -- in a free market, this would probably be fine because other airlines would spring up to allow rude or offensive customers. But the skies are governed wholly, one hundred percent, by the federal government. There's no room for diversity in airline service. It's to the point where you're barely even allowed to take your own luggage these days.

I have a few offensive T-shirt Hell t-shirts of my own. I kinda want to buy some more now.

2 Comments:

At October 12, 2005 at 2:02 PM, Blogger Micah said...

There are some shirts on that site that are HILARIOUS, others that are just plain wrong. I've been meaning to pick up one or two of the tamer ones. I don't have the cajones to wear the more out there ones in public (yeah, I tend to avoid confrontation).

 
At October 13, 2005 at 11:23 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I've tried once or twice to wear my most offensive shirt in public, but it's usually relegated to pjs.

My favorite one proudly proclaims "It's not PMS, it's you" with that stupid red dot like in the Kotex commercials. Giggle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home