Saturday, September 24, 2005

New computer: double-plus good

I have a new computer!

I was going to wait on it, particularly considering that my Visa is completely maxed out (literally -- I have about 34 dollars left), but then I found that my Discover card has two thousand dollars on it. It was like free money, landing right there in my lap. And I was browsing the computers at Best Buy (I was there to buy power cords and phone cables, wheee!) because I've been thinking for a while now that after I moved I would buy a new computer. I'm so sick of my old POS laptop. And I found one that looked fantastic, like too good to be true. So I got it. Which means I better not get a hankering for expensive food in the next month or so, because instead of food I now have a computer :)

Moving in went pretty smoothly. I ended up having to fly out to Los Angeles at the early end of my visit home, since the movers decided that they wanted to bring my stuff over as early as they could, and I didn't want to cut short my visit with Mommy and Daddy and sibbies. Who ever has this problem? So I flew out to Los Angeles for a day, spent the night with wonderful friend Sarah and got just drunk enough to have fun but not enough to leave me hungover the nest day, and met the movers at my new apartment. Fast-forward three weeks, and I'm moved in except for the three or four boxes of just plain crap that I didn't know what to do with at my old place, and that I don't know what to do with now. Add to that all my law books. I'm feeling really stupid now for keeping them. JCA always warned me: "what are you gonna do with them? It's not like you can use them for research." And yet I stubbornly refused to sell them back. Man, that was stupid. Now the boxes are piled against one of my walls, taking up space and making it ugly.

After a number of annoying and difficult wait-around-for-the-utilities-guy days and frustrating installations, I'm now set up with a landline, DSL and TiVo. I can't remember how life worked before TiVo. It's a magical little box that makes my days happier and easier. It also enables my TV addiction even though I'm now working as a lawyer. Between firm life and catching up on my favorite TV shows, I won't have much of a life.

I've also got California license plates now. My car has had my old Colorado plates since I bought it, so I've never tried screwing them off before. The back screws had rusted. The first one came off with a little bit of effort, but the second one was stubborn. It took me a half hour of desperately trying to turn the screw -- which only resulted in grinding off the rusted insides so there was nothing for the screwdriver to grip -- before my landlord walked outside, saw me struggling, and offered to help. With his drill and new screws, we were able to remove my old plate and put on the new ones. Hooray!

All that's left is to find a gym. Today I have an appointment to meet a membership rep from a snazzy expensive one, Sports Club/LA. I'm prepping for the hard sell, but it does look like a pretty cool gym regardless. So we'll see.

I do still intend to do the cool things with my blog that I promised I would -- it's just taking me a little longer to get settled than I thought.

And now, to run some errands.

3 Comments:

At September 26, 2005 at 5:26 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Love the 1984 reference. Why don't you have some Victory Gin while you're at it?

 
At September 28, 2005 at 10:13 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Read my mind!

Since I've just started big-firm life, I'm brushing up on my Newspeak to get back in practice. Incidentally, there's something sadistically delectable about seeing the awe and horror in someone's face when I say I'm a lawyer (even though that's technically not quite true yet).

 
At October 2, 2005 at 5:59 PM, Blogger Micah said...

It would be an asset to speak fluent English, Legalese, and Newspeak.

And when you're feeling down, go kill a Prole.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home