Monday, August 01, 2005

My own words coming back to haunt me

So in the midst of all the horrible bar-cramitude, I remember sitting on my couch, eyes glazing at the sight of my shockingly messy apartment, and thinking, "I can't wait until the bar exam is over and all I have to worry about is packing for my move."

NOW I remember why people hate moving more than doing their taxes.

Today the packing started. I suppose I could have started yesterday but I slept in until 12 or so, and then I met some friends for afternoon tea at the Drake, and then since we were already dressed up one of my girlfriends and I had a couple drinks at the hotel bar downstairs. And then we went to her apartment and drank more and watched a movie. And then I came home and fell asleep watching TV. And then I slept in until 11ish today (MAN am I gonna miss this in September).

I remember having some boxes from the last time I moved (that would be when I moved back in at the end of the summer last year, which would be my THIRD move that year) so I set about searching the apartment, expecting to find all sorts of boxes and found....

Six boxes.

Um.

I sighed and resigned myself to what now looked like a non-negotiable trip to U-Haul. I don't mind the idea of buying boxes from U-Haul in principle, but the actuality of it is a bit harsher. First, you think, oh, boxes are pretty cheap, only a few bucks each, right? But that adds up quick when you're buying around 30 boxes or so. Like, $140ish. Dammit, that could have been drinking money. And THEN it's hard to fit the boxes into my little red Subaru. And THEN I have to fit the boxes onto the building's luggage cart, which is just too small to fit all the boxes I bought, so I get to awkwardly try to balance wardrobe boxes on TOP of the full cart while simultaneously trying to create the forward motion needed to get the cart actually moving. This led to near-injuries and a couple of really embarrassing encounters for me ("sorry for ruining your elevator ride!").

But I finally got the boxes unloaded and set about to the task of packing. I got 7 boxes done today, which I think is actually not too shabby, considering I spent most of the day sleeping and whining to all who would listen about Ticketmaster. But as I was packing, I realized that there are a lot of things that I just might have the occasion to need between now and the time I actually move. If I were better at planning out travel accessories (I'm awful at it), I might be able to figure this out. But no. I still haven't unpacked since returning from California on Saturday, and I likely won't pack for my Friday morning trip to New York until midnight-ish on Thursday. So I have to scrounge around my apartment for all the junk I never use, which begs the question, why do I keep all this junk in the first place? To that question I have no answer. I just know that I can't throw it away.

I also realized how pitiful my CD collection is. I could brush this off and say, but I have so many downloaded songs that it makes up for it -- except that I really don't. I just have an overall pitiful music collection. I guess that's one thing to take care of once I start making money. At least I can be proud of my DVD collection -- I've gotten genuine compliments from guys.

So, while I certainly wouldn't wish myself back into the hell of bar studying (shudder), I do think that my feelings about moving were overly rosy. And I hope they don't really expect me to clean the place up. I know for a FACT they're gutting it right after I leave so I really don't see the point. I'm gonna double-check about that. At least the manager likes me.

And now, back to the Sims.

6 Comments:

At August 1, 2005 at 8:25 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Moving. Ugh. I remember moving to OH from DC. After driving a carload up, I flew back down to DC and drove a packed U-Haul back. This was right before 9/11. I'm sure my one way ticket and no baggage would set off all kinds of flags nowadays.

Even though I'm ready to move back South, I am sooooo not looking forward to packing up all my junk.

Didn't we already establish in your last post that your taste in music sucks? I'm cookin' up a little something for you to remedy that, so be on the lookout.

 
At August 1, 2005 at 11:25 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

ohhh man, TWO drives to move? Sucky. I did the one-way flight, no baggage thing from Los Angeles to Colorado Springs recently (stop 2 on a multi-destination trip). I had a stopover in Vegas that ended up taking forever and cancelling my flight. I have to let myself think that it's not my fault all those innocent people got booted off their flight.

And "sucks" is a bit harsh. I mean, it's not like I listen to James Taylor or something. Shudder.

 
At August 2, 2005 at 6:39 AM, Blogger Micah said...

James Taylor sucks?! Now them's fighting words. Just kidding. While I dig a few of the guy's songs, they definitely all sound the same (which is not an entirely bad thing, but it is in his case).

Yeah, I'm wondering how the logistics of my next move will play out. And how the hell I'm going to pay for it.

 
At August 2, 2005 at 3:34 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I can't stand James Taylor, in large part because Dad has always listened to him WAY too much. Strangely, you'd think that would also make me hate Michael Jackson. Then again, MJ -- say what you will about him -- has mad sick talent. Good luck with the move. I feel your pain, or at least some of it.

Gus, where were you BEFORE I shelled out all that money for boxes??? It's okay, though -- I actually really like the U-Haul boxes. Their "suggested" items for each box size make me feel like I'm organized, which makes me productive. Yes, I'm odd. Good luck with the pre-2L move -- hopefully you're following in the footsteps of many before you and making the hike to greener (i.e., more northernly) pastures.

While I'm glad you're alive, something tells me the U-Haul explosion can't have been all *that* exciting if there was no mauling or death involved. ;)

 
At August 2, 2005 at 7:28 PM, Blogger lakhawk said...

I also have to suggest picking up boxes from Office Depot or someplace similar...for future reference. They come in a variety of sizes and are much cheaper.

And I'll just ignore all the awful things said about James Taylor. Yes, I know, I'm an old woman - my little sister tells me so all the time.

 
At August 3, 2005 at 8:35 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Hehehehe. That's okay, lak, I'll let you in on a little secret... I don't know how this happened, but I *LOVE* Neil Diamond. It's even funnier when you take into account a couple of REALLY long family stories that I'm not going to bore you with. But if you knew the backstory it would be even funnier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home