Thursday, July 07, 2005

Oy

Well, the nightmares have started.

The other night, I dreamed that it was the day of the bar exam, and I was freaking out because, in typical fashion, I hadn't studied, and I'd hardly done any of the practice multiple choice questions from barbri. These are both non-dream facts, by the way. I had real fear in my heart that I would fail.

I guess the message from this is: now I really do need to start prepping for the bar.

I've been a bit better recently, and at the very least I've been productive, even if not solely on bar stuff. I finally found a place to stay for my trip to LA next week (something that was stressing me out) and have started making appointments to view apartments. The only strange thing about this process is that there are so few places that are ready to rent when I need them. I don't mean that I'm too late; on the contrary, I'm too early. From the looks of it, people who want to live in LA just waltz into town a week or so before they plan to move and get a place then. Every ad I see is "available now!!!" (the excalamation marks are key) or "available 8/1/05." I want a place in September. And I want the security of having a forwarding address -- and a place to send the movers -- a reasonable amount of time in advance. So is this just a Los Angeles thing, or are people in other cities this fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants? Because, hey, I'm all about being laid-back and learning to surf, but I'm just a little too anal for this. Gah.

In other news, for the second time this week I've turned in an essay with literally seconds to spare (in case the barbri folks are counting, which they probably aren't). Apparently if you send in late essays, they're now sending auto responses telling you they won't grade them (I'm actually afraid to reload my inbox right now, lest the email kiss of death visit itself upon me). Bitches. If they were being on time with their grade returns, I'd grudgingly admit they have the right to do this. But I have received a total of one grade when I should have received at least two or three by now. So imho they have no right to be nazis about deadlines when they aren't getting us our grades when they promised. Whatever. It's not like they're particularly helpful anyway. But, my nervous mind keeps nagging, your clock may be a few minutes off! In which case I could be screwed, by no real fault of my own (seriously, if turning something in at the absolute deadline isn't okay, then they shouldn't have absolute deadlines. I have a point here. Right?) Then again, if they're counting this by California time, I may have screwed myself out of the extra five minutes I could have used to finish my brilliant (meaning "mostly incompetent") exposition on corporate fiduciary responsibilities. (Thank GOD I'm gonna be a litigator.*) Okay, I really need to stop thinking about this. Like, now.

Back to Mario.

*I assume. My firm still hasn't told me what I'll be doing. Which majorly sucks, because the closer I get to actually working, the more I think I'll be unhappy with anything other than IP lit. DAMMIT, if they are going to give me something else I need more time to adjust to the crushing disappointment!**

**I swear to God I'm not a spoiled brat. I'm just sleepy, slightly tipsy from my wine, and just a tad PMS-y.

7 Comments:

At July 8, 2005 at 12:33 AM, Blogger Roonie said...

I haven't heard about them returning essays! That's ridiculous! So what's the due "time," especially because we're all on the East Coast and they are three hours behind? Is midnight their time the cutoff or what?

 
At July 8, 2005 at 6:30 AM, Blogger Marissa said...

In NY, you're generally supposed to look for an apt 30-45 days in advance. I guess that's what I'm going to be doing immediately after the bar's over... along with the thousands of others who just took the bar exam and need housing. Definitely not looking forward to the rush (I've heard all these stories about apartments getting listed and taken within minutes). Chicago apartment hunting is so much more humane!

 
At July 8, 2005 at 8:15 AM, Blogger Micah said...

You want to do IP? So did I! That dream died once I entered law school and found out that you needed a science degree to sit for the IP bar.

And I remember my pre-bar exam nightmares. They were horrific because they felt so real. Little did I know at the time that they were actually premonitions.

 
At July 8, 2005 at 12:11 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Roonie -- I think it's pretty recent. First I heard of it was when I stumbled into class Tuesday. At that point I had still been planning on submitting late essays, figuring the deadlines didn't matter. Dammit!

Marissa -- Oh man, I am not jealous. I know there are a ton of people from school headed to NY -- good luck to you guys. I've found a few places that either know or think they have Sept vacancies coming up, and some that could let me rent Aug. 15. I figure a half-month's rent extra is a small price to pay for my sanity.

Micah -- hooray for IP! I'm not planning to do patents stuff (I'm just a lowly liberal arts/social science major, myself), which I don't find as interesting as trademarks and copyright anyway. Fortunately my firm splits up hard and soft IP, so my background doesn't matter. Teehee. I really hope I'm not as psychic as you are, or that the CA bar graders are just lazier than the Ohio bar folks.

 
At July 8, 2005 at 8:34 PM, Blogger Roonie said...

I'm just too tired to write yet ANOTHER one today. I just wrote three essays and a PT today. But it's CP. I wanna turn it in. But I don't know if I can force myself to do it. I'm exHAUsted.

 
At July 8, 2005 at 9:53 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Hey, I'm looking to do non-patent IP work too! I thought I was the only one. I wrote a 44pp paper on Trademarks, I love them so. But I want to be transactional only; I don't like having to wake up early and go to court.

We should start our own firm and market ourselves as the one stop Trademark shop - I'm the Registrar, You're the Enforcer. :)

... or we could both pass this stupid exam before we buy our superhero outfits... :)

 
At July 9, 2005 at 8:56 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Roonie -- I totally get the whole, wanting to turn in the essays, thing. On the other hand, though, it's not like their "comments" are all that helpful. For instance, it apparently takes them two and a half weeks to notice that I've inadvertently answered the wrong question. Geniuses. Sigh, to be dedicated enough to meet impossible deadlines...

Eve -- ooooooo superhero outfits! The Trademark Avengers! I'm totally down. Interestingly enough (at least I hope it's interesting), I wrote a long paper on the visual artists rights act. I don't know why, but I just find it fascinating. As for litigation, it's mostly just that I love arguing. I don't care if I do it in court or not, but if you'll pay me to argue -- hell yeah, I'll do that :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home