Monday, June 27, 2005

Of cooking and couches

Last night I had a dinner with a small group of friends -- each of us brought a dish. I brought a delicious (if I do say so myself) tabbouleh salad, my mom's recipe. And it reminded me how much I love cooking. How much I MISS cooking. It's not even necessarily that I don't have the time, it's more that the time I do have I tend to spend on the couch in front of the TV. I really love camping out there.

So, in a fabulous combination of two of my favorite things, I've gotten hooked on Fox's Hell's Kitchen. For one thing, it's one of the only shows on that has new episodes during the summer. For another, it features food AND backstabbing. I mean, there's no beating it. Tonight, for instance, the person assigned to pick two teammates to go on the chopping block for elimination made an unlikely decision in saving the guy who was clearly meant to be eliminated. The result was that Chef Ramsay decided to cut Chris, the only one on the show who's actually a professional executive chef. Turns out Ramsay was sick of Chris claiming that he was an expert, and failing to impress, week after week. My money's on Elsie. Ramsay likes her, and she actually works her butt off, even though she has started to crack/freak out a little bit recently. We'll see. She's a good one to root for, anyway -- a mother of six who's giving the chef thing the old college try. Who couldn't rally around that?

On a somewhat related topic, I now have a new place to rest myself while I engage in my favorite activity. When JCA left town, she also left me her couch -- all I needed to do was pick it up. Suffice it to say, picking up a large sectional couch is a lot harder than it sounds. I don't recommend attempting to do it yourself, as I did. It will take you all afternoon and you will quite possibly injure yourself. Nevertheless, I am now the proud owner of four pieces of the prettiest little (um, well, big, actually) leather sectional in Chicago. Thanks, J -- I promise to take care of her :)


Look how pretty she is! Posted by Hello

7 Comments:

At June 28, 2005 at 9:12 AM, Blogger Micah said...

You scooped me again! Curses! I'm still going to have a reality TV post today sometime. I just need to finish watching the latest episodes of "Hell's Kitchen" and "The Next Food Network Star" that I recorded.

(Luckily, I skipped your middle paragraph when I realized you were recapping last night's episode. I'll come back to it later.)

 
At June 28, 2005 at 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad she's in a happy and loving home! And you know she's going to love it when the dogs curl up on her to nap. :)

 
At June 28, 2005 at 2:58 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Wow, Micah -- maybe I really am reading your mind! Uncanny.

Sorry about the spoiler -- I should've put a warning on it. whoopsie.

jca -- DOGGIES!!! I saw a big doggie in the elevator today and his owner let me pet him. I want doggies. Little bitty doggies to curl up on my new couch with me :)

 
At June 28, 2005 at 6:19 PM, Blogger Micah said...

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

No biggie. It had already been broadcast, so I wouldn't expect a spoiler warning. And as I said, I skipped the paragraph, so no harm done.

I'm postponing my reality TV post, as I still haven't watched my backlog.

 
At June 28, 2005 at 8:04 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Now Micah is thinking: mmmmmm... Starbucks...

btw, your CD is the current soundtrack du jour in my car, and I'm a fan thus far. Haven't made my way down to Captain Kirk yet -- saving myself a treat for actually getting Bar/Bri work done :)

 
At June 29, 2005 at 8:21 AM, Blogger Micah said...

Close. I was thinking "chick with glasses in Starbucks commercial...drool."

Glad you're digging the CD. Anytime you feel in the need for a new mix, holla at your boy.

 
At July 1, 2005 at 7:05 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

But you see how close I was!!! As I said, uncanny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home