Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Now this is just embarrassing

"If we have offended any Christians I would ask them to forgive us, which seems to be one of the main tenements in the New Testament," actor Paul Bettany, who plays Silas in the film, said with a smile during an interview with CNN's Brooke Anderson at Cannes Tuesday.

From a cnn.com story on The Da Vinci Code. "Tenements"? Seriously??

I don't have time to go into the actual underlying controversy in the piece, though I would like to talk about it later. But I just had to point that out. Come on, Paul, you're a Brit. I thought you guys were supposed to have the whole English thing figured out better than us Yanks.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At May 17, 2006 at 9:46 PM, Blogger lakhawk said...

You know, I read the book, and I don't remember any run-down, over-crowded apartments. Perhaps Ron Howard took some dramatic license.

 
At May 18, 2006 at 8:54 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Maybe he needed a place to dump all his Arrested Development sets, haha!

Ohhhh, I made myself sad...

 
At May 19, 2006 at 2:09 PM, Blogger Busted said...

An (unrelated by blood) family member of mine once tried to repeat an earlier comment made by someone else, referring to my undergraduate institution as one of the last "bastards" of the fraternity system. Fitting sentiment actually.

 
At May 21, 2006 at 6:53 AM, Blogger Kit Born said...

I like the movie "The Pirze Winner of Defiance, Ohio;" there is a scene where the ladies are all talking about English and how to win contests by writing snazzy jingles and clever 2-line poems. At one point, the leader of the group mentions that soon all the contests will not rely on skill anymore, but dumb luck. One of the ladies in the group says that it will be the end of literacy. (Obviously, this is a short synopsis.) I just think it's funny that grammar is no longer taught and people have no qualms with bad usage or overusage of four-letter words. I heard someone use the F word so many times, it was as if he were a Smurf, and F--- was akin to how the little blue guys used the word Smurf as a catch all.

 
At May 21, 2006 at 12:00 PM, Blogger lakhawk said...

Who doesn't love The Smurfs?!

 
At May 23, 2006 at 10:07 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

productivity -- hehehe. Maybe it was like a Freudian slip!

kit born -- it is so smurfing smurfed-up how poorly people speak these days.

lak -- I'd take Papa Smurf over SpongeBob any day.

My verification word is nuugle! Sounds like some weird cutesy name for fried food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home