Thursday, December 28, 2006

Maybe that Al Gore fellow was onto something?*

This is freakin' crazy.

As you know, last week gave me the joy of choosing between a 17-hour road trip and a flight that wouldn't get me home until Christmas Day (and knowing my brother and sister, the presents would already be opened by then). I opted for the miserably long and expensive drive and made it in safely on Friday afternoon, in spite of some wicked crazy snow drifts/flood-caliber puddles at the C-470/I-25 junction in south Denver.

This morning, my flight made it back to Los Angeles on time and I got to work by a respectable 9:30 a.m., after taxiing to Subaru to pick up Rudolfo, who spent the week in the shop, and driving home to drop off my luggage and pick up my secretary's (now-belated) Christmas gift.

Text messages from Mom reveal that December Blizzard #2 started picking up almost as soon as I landed safely at LAX. Visits to CNN.com confirm that my home state is being wracked with, not one, but two debilitating snowstorms in the course of a single week.

In fact, this makes Blizzard #3 for the current snow season in Colorado. My sister tells me the first one kept her locked up in the house with the roommates for a day of college-level boozing the likes of which probably would have landed me, aged as I've become in the past 16 months, in the hospital.

Oiy. When I lived there we got maybe one bad storm, every three or four years or so.

Coming soon: Christmas photos, courtesy of my awesome new camera (thanks, Dad!).

* To avoid the inevitable negative political reaction: it's a rhetorical statement, something of a joke. I'm not actually making a political statement with this post.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At December 29, 2006 at 8:52 AM, Blogger Andy said...

Glad you made it safely back!

 
At December 29, 2006 at 12:40 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Ha! I have recently been wondering the same thing about Al and his global warming theories! We had one very freakish storm in October and have had no snow since. We live in Buffalo, so having no snow at all is kind of disturbing.

 
At December 29, 2006 at 3:15 PM, Blogger Roonie said...

I was seriously worried about you and your trip. I'm relieved you're back. And I'm sure such weather back home solidifies your choice of Los Angeles as your home!

Now when are we doing dinner? Next week, perhaps?

 
At December 29, 2006 at 5:02 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Thanks, Andy!

Michele, it's nutso! I was just talking to a fellow Coloradan in my office (she, too, had to drive out but was able to fly back) and reminiscing about the last time we could remember a storm this bad happening ONCE in a year, let alone twice. It was 1997.

Roonie, awwwww thanks sweetie! Although, call me crazy, but I still miss home. Probably in large part because Mom is there (and, for a few more months, Puppy too :'( ), but there will always be something so wonderfully warm about curling up in front of the fireplace, trapped inside by the blustering snow, with just the TV or a book and a friendly face or two to keep you company.

I'm so sorry we never touched base before I left! Work got a little hectic (of course, it's only getting more so now, with the recent addition of some major political drama... ahh fun!) and then of course there was travel nastiness. But I DEFINITELY need to see you soon! Next week for sure -- drop me a line when you're back in town, and safe travels for YOU, young lady! ;)

 
At December 29, 2006 at 5:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Law Fairie--
Just wanted to say thanks for the positive feedback (and the click through!) on feministing

Hope all is well....
Patti

 
At January 8, 2007 at 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Nino is actually causing the problems this year. Warm temperatures out east, heavy snow out west. That's not to say that other factors aren't at work, though. Apparently Iceland feels climate change very dramatically, and the glaciers are melting at an incredible rate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home