Monday, May 09, 2005

Hey! Did you just call me a nerd? Yeah, okay...

One of the great things about being in law school, and perhaps at my school in particular, is that, relatively speaking, you're automatically cooler than you used to be. I was totally unpopular in high school. In college, I fared better, particularly towards the end of college. But finally, in my third year of law school, I am, and I quote several of my friends here, a "rockstar." It probably doesn't hurt that I'm also a lot hotter than I was in high school.

For instance: A week or so ago, a friend and I participated in the law school's talent show. She's talented, but I'm not. We sang a song -- and I can't sing (I mean, I can hold a tune, but I can't sing, and there is a difference). Yet, in spite of my screeching out the high notes (the ones I can't hit), we somehow made the top half in the final cut. Why? I'm sure, in part because of my friend's talent, but I can't help but also think it's because I just had a few friends in the audience. Or maybe I just have a big head. Regardless, I'm definitely cooler than I was in high school.

How do I know this? Because everyone at my school is a nerd. I include myself in this. I recently sent out a mass email inviting people to go see the new Star Wars movie with me, opening night. Yup, incredibly nerdy. I figured not too many people would want to endure the supremely nerdy crowds bound to turn out for the movie (at least I'm not in LA yet -- it would be about fifty times worse there, I think). But I got an awesome response -- so many that I went to the theater today to buy tickets, to make sure that those who already responded, at least, would have tickets to the show. I smiled self-consciously at the woman behind the counter as I requested 17 tickets for opening night. They took a good five minutes to print out.

But- ha! I have tickets for me and 16 friends to see the new Star Wars movie in a week and a half. Call me a nerd, but I'm quite excited by this. Best of all, I have no Thursday afternoon classes to keep me from standing in line ridiculously early and looking like the nerd that I am. Of course, I'm certain to be surrounded by people in wookie and Storm Trooper costumes. Again, given the context, perhaps I'm not such a nerd after all.

At any rate, it's nice to really fit in somewhere that I don't stick out as a terrific nerd (a terrific nerd meaning someone who's comparatively most nerdy, rather than a nerd who is terrific, which I am). And it's also nice to have a Thursday afternoon with nothing better to do than stand in line for a movie. This is why I'm going to miss law school.

2 Comments:

At May 10, 2005 at 8:35 AM, Blogger Micah said...

Well, look at you, Miss Thang!

I remember standing in line for Attack of the Clones. Half of the entertainment of the evening was mocking the others in line (especially the two that performed a pre-show lightsaber duel in front of the screen). To paraphrase Ben Folds, there's always someone nerdier than you. *cough*Hobbit rappers*cough*

Embrace your nerdiness. I'm going to do that today by buy The Life Aquatic and the new Weezer disc.

 
At May 13, 2005 at 10:48 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I love mocking people, especially when they wear funny clothes. It makes me feel better about myself. And really, isn't that all that matters?

Steve Zissou is a whole different type of nerd. I heart him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home