Tuesday, May 23, 2006

My hometown

I love visiting Colorado Springs. It's gorgeous, it generally has good weather, and I have lots of fond memories from growing up there. As an added bonus, when I visit my family I get to see my dog, who is the awesomest dog in the world.

But this weekend made me realize that I could never live in the Springs again. This weekend I got a persuasive demonstration of just why I can't live there.

On Sunday afternoon Mom was driving me to the airport. While still on the winding neighborhood roads we came across a deer in the middle of the street. It had been hit by a car. There were two cars and their respective owners nearby. One guy, presumably the one who hit it, had a rifle drawn and pointed at the deer. I don't think I could ever shoot an innocent animal, but I do understand that he needed to prevent the poor thing from suffering. Problem was, for some reason the gun was not firing. He would aim at the deer, steady himself, and... nothing. He would then tilt the gun upwards -- to steady his grip? To re-cock it? I'm not sure what the problem was. But he repeated this process several times. At one point while he was waving his rifle around it went off and shot across the street. At this point I began to fear for my life.

"Oh my God. He doesn't know what he's doing!"

This *idiot* was waving around a *rifle*, pointing it in the air, across the street, just about any direction, *in the middle of a neighborhood*, *on a Sunday afternoon*!! For a few moments I actually worried that I might die.

I think the other driver got sick of him too. He finally walked over to his car, pulled out his handgun, and shot the deer.

God, I could so never move back to Colorado Springs.

8 Comments:

At May 23, 2006 at 11:52 AM, Blogger Micah said...

Good thing you're safe in the Land of the Crips and the Bloods. :)

 
At May 23, 2006 at 12:10 PM, Blogger lakhawk said...

That's so awesome. Sometimes I wish I lived in Texas for this very reason.

 
At May 23, 2006 at 12:13 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

well, at least if a gang member kills me it will be because he was aiming at me, rather than waiving it around like a freaking idiot who owns a gun he doesn't know how to use.

lak, this is why you and I are such good friends. Between us we've got all kinds of bases covered ;)

 
At May 23, 2006 at 12:33 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

I'm kinda disturbed that they were driving along and hadknc guns so readily available.

 
At May 23, 2006 at 12:34 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

Starring word verification! Sorry about that -- HAD guns readily available.

 
At May 23, 2006 at 1:21 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

odderie, that's Colorado Springs for ya

 
At May 23, 2006 at 1:28 PM, Blogger DarthImmortal said...

Sounds like the whole town is packing.

 
At May 25, 2006 at 9:54 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

darth, just about. I got my hunter's license when I was 11. We all did the training as a family -- my sister was 7.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home