Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Rest in peace, mate

Obviously you've all heard by now that the Crocodile Hunter died this week. The news made me sadder than I would have thought it would... the more I read about him, the more I realize what a loss this is for the environment and the world. Then I stumbled across this Chuck Norris-style homage. Here are some of the better excerpts:

Tom Cruise believes in Steve Irwin.

When Steve Irwin was a child, his friends were skipping stones out on the lake. Steve Irwin thought that game was stupid, so he picked up the biggest rock he could find and hurled it into the sky. That rock is now called The Moon.

The best weapon in Halo 2 is Steve Irwin.

Steve Irwin once mated with a crocodile and had a child. That child grew up to be Chuck Norris.

The website isn't the best of these I've seen, but I like the idea. There are a few chucklers in there.

Anyway, RIP Steve.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At September 6, 2006 at 9:04 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Yeah, for all the jokes and weird out-there-ness, it sounds like he was a really great guy. I can see the dorky uncle thing -- if it's a dorky uncle who also did amazing good things for the environment/animals and was loved by little kids :)

Man... it's just so sad :/

 
At September 7, 2006 at 4:47 PM, Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm sad, too. Despite his macho activities, he was one of very few taking a stand for animals. And 44 is much too young to die. I never thought of him as dorky, just Australian. And he seemed a lot more real than Paul Hogan.

Chuck Norris' book, The Secret Power Within, is great. It really surprised me the first time I read it. There is a lot more to him, too, than one might think. But then, there's a lot more to martial arts than fighting.

 
At September 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

sixer,

yup... he's gone up to that Great Butthole in the Sky... ;)

heart,

I completely agree. 44 is WAAYY too young. And I agree he seemed very real and down-to-earth. A little loud and a daredevil -- but I could absolutely see a lot of fun, cool guys I know, in him. And I agree re martial arts. It just cracks me up how there are websites out there dedicated to elevating Chuck Norris to god-like status. I guess I find it funny because it seems (to me, anyway) completely random. You could just as earily choose Jackie Chan, or Jet Li, or, hell, Mel Gibson (or, at least, you could've until recently...). The CN phenomenom cracks me up in ways I'll likely never understand :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home