Friday, May 13, 2005

The 6th Circle of Hell

That's my hypothesis. Two pages into my large final paper for Advanced Criminal Law (which was actually nominally due a couple weeks ago, but is absolutely non-negotiably due on Monday) and three pages into my shorter paper for Class Action theory (actually due Monday), I'm guessing I'm hovering somewhere near the 6th or 7th circle. I don't get it. In college I didn't have this kind of trouble writing papers -- I could plunk out a ten-pager in a matter of hours and expect an A on it. Now, I'm lucky if a day produces five halfway decent pages. And I've got a good 15-20 to finish by Monday. This is the part of law school I won't miss.

I've also added two new methods of procrastination to my already-impressive repertoire (which includes such classics as watching television, online shopping, chatting on IM, and playing my new digital piano :)): baking and watching cheesy 80s movies no one's ever heard of, let alone seen. Case in point: the 1987 blink-and-you-missed-it romp Campus Man. I actually own this movie. Don't worry, it was given to me. My family is big into the whole joke-gift thing (for instance, I also own a Klingon dictionary and almost every Dolph Lundgren movie ever made, not by any expression of desire for said items on my part). The punch line behind this joke is that it stars one of my relatives (by marriage). It also stars John Dye of Touched by an Angel fame, Kim Delaney of CSI fame, and Morgan Fairchild of the Old Navy commercials. I think she did something else too, but I forget what. While working on my papers this afternoon I put the movie on in the background, since I've never seen it before. The plot? College guy loses his scholarship, persuades best friend to help him make a beefcake calendar so he has money to stay in school, both guys get cute girlfriends. Throw in some other obligatory stereotypes and a few awed references to computers, and you've got yourself some classic 80s goodness.


Don't you miss the 80s? Posted by Hello

My other new favorite thing, baking, is making me fat. Especially since all I do now is sit in front of my computer, all day. So I have zero physical activity and lots of food. That's a really bad combination. Thank goodness I live alone -- I feel like a blob, and I certainly wouldn't want anyone seeing me looking like the blob-thing that I am. Whoever said writing papers was better than taking exams (*cough* JCA! *cough*) is much less of a procrastinator than I, delusional, or a glutton for punishment. Or some strange unworldly combination of the three.

Sigh. Back to hell for me...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2005 at 10:15 PM, Blogger Micah said...

The funny thing is that that's how I paid my way through undergrad. That and turning tricks. Gotta love the rough trade.

 
At May 17, 2005 at 10:10 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Oh my god, you too? I totally thought I was alone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home