Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Technological marvel or popularity poll?

Today I sent out my first ever evite. I would explain what evite is, but chances are if you know what a blog is (and you're reading one), you know what an evite is. Evite has gotten cooler and cooler over the years and you can now even use it as a casual central messaging board for people who want to throw some kind of party-thing at some place at some time. New features include the ability to ask your guests to bring something, ask your guests what date, time, or place they would like to have a party, and poll your guests about pretty much whatever you want. Amazingly, it's still free, probably because of the ads littering the sidebars.

So, one of the things I've always loved about evite is that you can see who's said they're coming, and who can't make it, etc. This is convenient for those responding and for the host, because no phone calls are necessary, nor is the effort of constructing an email -- you just click on your response and submit, typing a message if you'd like. For us children of the 70s and 80s, this is fantastic because it avoids the awkwardness of actual one-on-one contact. Just as email replaced phone calls, evite can replace email for this task.

But now I'm learning about the host features. For instance, as a host, you can see who your guests have invited. Fortunately, no one else can tell if you invited them or the friend invited them (which is good because it's bad enough if you forgot someone's email address and have to apologize to them -- it's worse if everyone gets to speculate whether you forgot or whether there's a tiff to gossip about). Another host feature: you can see who's viewed the evite and when.

WHOA.

So I can see when people have looked at the evite even though most of them haven't responded. For someone as attention-hungry as me, this is BRUTAL. "Please like me!" cries a low-self-esteem part of me. Instead, I get to wait and see people check back for the planned attendees to see if my party is cool enough.

But I'm cool! I promise!

5 Comments:

At November 30, 2005 at 12:33 PM, Blogger CM said...

The popularity aspect is why I don't like to use Evite -- I don't want everybody to see that I invited 40 people to my party and only 3 are coming.

 
At December 1, 2005 at 4:36 AM, Blogger Micah said...

Did you mention your snazzy new TV? That'd at least bring in a few dudes.

If there's one major gripe I have among my law school-era friends, it is that most of them seem to not get the "RSVP" concept. It's really frustrating when trying to plan a party. Especially since we're all adults (physically, at least). Sure, I can always find a use for extra unopened booze, but what am I going to do with all this excess cheese?!

I'm having a party on 12/10, sent out my e-mail invitations (non-Evite) a couple of weeks ago, and have only heard from a few friends. I'm getting visions of a lame party - a couple of people, a bottle of Fresca, and PS2. I must say that my pre-law school friends know their social etiquette and got back to me rather quickly. Rant over.

Oh, yeah: if you want to fly out to Columbus next week, PAAAARTTTTY!

 
At December 3, 2005 at 12:18 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

cm -- EXACTLY.

micah -- I toyed with that idea, but then I thought, is advertising a television a good way to throw a party? I don't want my guests sitting in front of the TV (maybe I'll throw a Super Bowl party using that idea, though)

How is excess cheese a problem???? Don't tell me you don't LOVE cheese!!

I will keep it in mind, though flying to Columbus would probably mean flying United. And I really don't like United :P If your party doesn't quench your party-thirst, feel free to head LA-wards the following weekend for my awesometastic party!

 
At December 4, 2005 at 7:26 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Don't get me wrong - loves me some cheese. But unlike alkyhol, mass quantities will go bad if not consumed.

Too bad my party's not in March. A few weeks ago an announcement was made that one of the major carriers (Delta, maybe?) will start non-stop flights to LA then. Way to go, Cowtown!

 
At December 4, 2005 at 10:41 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

True, but you don't want to leave a good wine sitting too long, either. But I'll grant that it's easier to down a bottle of wine than a pound of cheese. Also, less bloat in the morning.

Non-stop to LA -- you've hit the big time now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home