Monday, December 19, 2005

Just in time...

I've discovered the real reason people still get Christmas off, even though it's increasingly un-PC to recognize it as a national holiday.

All these parties will wear you the hell out.

I've only been to two, but one of them was my own, and Oh My Gosh how tiring. Don't get me wrong, it was great fun -- but in my quest to play Awesome Hostess I somehow blocked out of my mind all of the cleaning up I'd have to do after the party was over. Sure, tidying the place up and baking cookies and digging up drink recipes was work, too -- but it was fun work. It held the promise of making for a fabulous party. But the clean-up afterwards is a total buzz killer.

Now, on the broad spectrum of party-goers, I have to say that my guests rank pretty high up on the politeness end. No spilled red wine sullying the carpet; no broken beer bottles on the kitchen floor. Not even a random plastic cup lying on the ground. The few paper plates left scattered around were all face-up. All in all, they did good.

But the dishes. Ugh.

I bought this gorgeous new punch bowl before the party and used it for my real egg nog (a hit, by the way). I made mulled wine in a large stovepot. I heated cocktail weiners in a crock pot. And then, of course, the obligatory martini shaker and ice bucket, and the numerous plates of other foods and cookies. Plus, I didn't think to ask my guests to remove their shoes, so I have bits of dirt all over the carpet and wood floors.

I cleaned some of it yesterday, but I spent the bulk of the day watching television and recuperating. This morning left no extra time, either, as I had to rush off to work after yoga class, for which I amazingly was able to rouse myself.

So, as much as I enjoyed throwing a party, I'm ready to go home and let my Mommy play hostess to me for a while.

Oh man. I guess moms never get holidays.

2 Comments:

At December 19, 2005 at 2:41 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Word. A good friend of mine got HAMMERED at my party and crashed at my place. The next morning I woke up to the sounds of Elton John's "Levon" and scratched my head. My friend put on EJ's greatest hits and was doing the dishes.

It's good to have friends. Even if they do wake you up in that manner.

 
At December 19, 2005 at 3:33 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Oh man. I totally should've gotten my friends drunker. I'd even listen to (gulp!) *country* music if they did my dishes for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home