Thursday, July 13, 2006

Life on crack... berry

I hate my CrackBerry. I never wanted one in the first place, but eventually people started getting frustrated with me for not promptly responding to weekend emails, so I broke down and got one, the most basic model my firm was handing out.

The thing buzzes every time I get an email. Most of the time, it's nothing important. But occasionally it is. Slightly more rarely, it is a bombastic email from a certain partner I work for, inevitably telling me how badly I've screwed up my current project.

Mostly because of the latter of these, I've come to dread that unmistakable "buzz" sound. I hear it and I can literally feel my body tense up and my heart pump slightly faster. I hate that stupid sound. Stupid CrackBerry.

So I'm sitting here and there's a loud-talking associate in the office nearby. He talks and talks and talks, very loudly. A minute ago I heard him make a humming sound (as in, "hmmmm, I will have to talk to the client about that"). I swear to God the man sounds like a BlackBerry buzz.

I feel like I've entered a surreal place. I need to get off this shit. Shiver.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At July 14, 2006 at 8:22 PM, Blogger Marissa said...

Would it be any better if you could just check it periodically and not worry about the buzzing? I've always had mine on silent mode, so there's no buzzing or anything, it just blinks when there's a message. I always jump when I hear someone else's buzz because they are so loud, so maybe it would be less jumpy to turn off the noise? That sucks about the content of the emails though.

 
At July 15, 2006 at 10:31 AM, Blogger MM said...

What is a crack-berry?

 
At July 16, 2006 at 11:42 AM, Blogger Roonie said...

People have been telling me that I should get one, but you know, I don't think I want to be that accessible.

 
At July 17, 2006 at 11:24 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Marissa, I don't know if mine has a silent mode... I guess I could try actually reading the manual ;)

laundry, it's a BlackBerry -- some people call it a CrackBerry because it's addictive like crack. Personally, I hate it, but I do have to admit to checking it more often than I need to.

Roonie, I always knew you were smart :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home