Monday, September 25, 2006

Yes, let's just blame those phony "feminists"

Is it any wonder women like me still talk about the Glass Ceiling, when "reputable" rags like Forbes offer up articles like this as actual serious commentary??? It purports to present "women's" point of view by offering up tasty little tidbits like the following:
"Why not make it yourself?" critics often ask Ginie Polo Sayles, author of How
to Marry Rich. Her response: "You can, but you can do it faster with a man."

If it sounds mercenary, that's because it is. But it's also nothing new.
"We're genetically programmed to go after successful men," explains Lisa
Johnson, author of How to Snare a Millionaire. "All the way back to caveman
days, women had to mate with the best hunters, gatherers and providers for the
propagation of our species."
Thank goodness they also offer a helping of good sense:
Not all women are convinced money is the brass ring: "It is good fortune if the
person you love--male or female--happens to have money," says Kim Gandy,
president of the National Organization for Women. "It's a wonderful thing, and
it can certainly make life better and open opportunities for you and your
children. But it's a real mistake to think that money can buy love or happiness.
It can't."

But most of the rest of the article is typical stereotyping of women as lazy golddiggers who would prefer to mooch off of their men rather than actually hold jobs. They even pretend to make this scientific by noting a study that finds that women tend to be happier if their husbands make more money than they do. Of course, these findings couldn't *possibly* have anything to do with the sexist, misogynist work conditions most of us find upon entering the working world. Sexual harassment laws and training only scratch the surface (and, as many women could tell you, sometimes only add to the problems, as some people apparently take sexual harassment training to give them license to make lewd, inappropriate, demeaning jokes. That, my friends, is irony).

I have no respect left for Forbes. The "career woman" fiasco just last month was enough to make me doubt their value in this age where it's fashionable to at least pretend to believe in equality. This confirms it: Forbes, you're lost your touch. Move over and make room for the 21st century.

And don't come crawling back to your Sugar Momma when you realize the error of your ways. I've no more interest in you.

HT: Feministing

6 Comments:

At September 25, 2006 at 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the words of Trent and Laguna Beach's Kristen Cavalleri, Forbes is dunzo. I foresee it being only a matter of time before the calls for dissolution of this company are met. Ugh. I'm so tired of its vicious attacks on women. Are they trying to break us down? Thwart our progress? Newsflash, Forbes fools - WE ARE ON TO YOU! Women are no longer stupid; we KNOW what you're doing. And it ain't working.

 
At September 25, 2006 at 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should qualify that last statement - women were never stupid, but we were kept in the dark, which made us stupid (forcibly, of course). Male captors, we are seeing the light, THE LIGHT! You can hold us down no more!

I am ranting. I should calm myself.

 
At September 25, 2006 at 1:47 PM, Blogger Andy said...

typical stereotyping of women as lazy golddiggers who would prefer to mooch off of their men rather than actually hold jobs

Except there are SERIOUSLY a lot of shallow gold-diggers out there. Here in Manhattan, I meet so, so, so many women who on a daily basis make me say, "Thank God I'm gay." That's not to say all women are gold-diggers, not by any stretch. But they're not mythical like a unicorn, either.

 
At September 25, 2006 at 3:43 PM, Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Disgusting. Will they never run out of new ways to put women down? They've gone too far in propagating stereotypes which have always put most women to shame anyway, under guise of serious journalism.

For every bonafide golddigger I know, I can name at least 10 women who eschew such behaviors which demean both women AND men. Probably more, but I'm not a statistician.

You stick to your guns, Sugar Momma, and don't take no more trash from The Man. We've got your back.

 
At September 25, 2006 at 8:19 PM, Blogger CM said...

Ugh.

Many women feel happier if their husbands make more money because their husbands are happier making more money. Good thing I married someone enlightened who would love to see me bring home the bacon while he sits on the couch eating bonbons. :)

 
At September 25, 2006 at 10:20 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

roonie, hehehehe, Laguna Beach :) Your rant expresses much of what I'm feeling, so rant away ;) It's infuriating that a publication like Forbes can actually get away with this, in this day and age. It's infuriating and depressing -- sort of a reminder that no matter how hard I work, and how competent I am, there will always be people who see me as just some dumb woman looking for a rich guy to pay off her student debt. Good thing I have no respect for people who think that way.

andy, fair enough -- you're absolutely right that there are far too many shallow gold-diggers out there (and at least as many shallow men who let their egos fool them into thinking a marriage with these leeches would be worth it). But that's not really the point in my mind. Forbes isn't saying, "this is a problem with some women." Forbes actually goes and makes snarky comments about the *feminist movement* simply because there are anti-woman women (no, this is not an oxymoron) out there writing tripe like this, and there are idiots who are gobbling it up. I would venture to say these sorts of women are in the minority. Further, Forbes' attitude is not "look at this, this is a problem" -- rather, Forbers appears to be rubbing our noses in it. As if to say, see women, stop complaing about the Glass Ceiling. You like your Glass Ceiling just fine, in fact you're looking for a diamond chandelier to complement it. Articles like this are a slap in the face to women like me who work our asses off for advanced degrees with every intention of working our asses off to get as far as we can -- which, incidentally, will likely never be as far as a man in our shoes could go, thanks to attitudes like Forbes'.

heart, this is such a great quote: "Will they never run out of new ways to put women down?" I think you hit the nail on the head. It's almost enough to make me want to throw my hands up and just quit (don't worry; I'm only 25, and I'm part Irish, so I still have plenty of spit and fire left in me ;)). Articles like this completely ignore the many strong, intelligent, hard-working women out there and it's damn insulting.

special, you truly are one in a million. Thank you for being a male feminist. Seriously, there are just way too few of you. I love your 80s allusion -- thanks for injecting some much-needed humor into my somber post :)

cm, hehe, good for you indeed. I have a friend whose husband is similarly enlightened -- their plan for when they have kids is that he will be the stay-at-home parent, which makes perfect sense since, as an attorney, she makes gobs more than he would working as an artist. And they both understand that being a parent who is *not* a stay-at-home parent does not mean you're an absentee parent by any means. I love being friends with sensible folks :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home