Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Warning: Heroes quasi-spoilers!!!

The season finale: in a word, disappointing.

In fairness, it would have been almost impossible not to be. The season finale for a show this good is bound to be anticlimactic, just because there's too much going on to satisfactorily wrap it up in 42 minutes. Even if the finale had been two hours, it would have been pretty damn tough to pull off.

My chief complaint is that the finale turned Peter Petrelli, the most powerful human being in the universe, into a whiny, wussy flake who can't even muster the strength to use just one of his kickass superpowers in the non-showdown with Sylar. I watched the previews and I expected action, dammit. What happened to the cool, angry, powerful Peter Petrelli from "Five Years Gone" (the future episode)? I wanna see that fight again. Hmmm, maybe I still have the episode on TiVo. That was a really good episode.

BUT I'll backtrack a little bit. It's only the first season... if they pull out all the stops now, there'll be no reason to return to watch the second season (or the third, the fourth, etc.) Obviously neither Peter nor Sylar is dead (for that matter, I don't think Nathan is, either, and not JUST because I caught the tail end of a radio interview with Adrian Pasdar this morning and it sure did sound like he was planning to be on the show next season). So we will get our Final Showdown eventually. In like seven years.

But still. Is it so much to ask that he do a little more than just punch Sylar? I mean, come on. It doesn't have to be Neo versus Agent Smith, but something a little less Street Fighter would have been nice.

As a side note: what's up with Hiro's sudden apparent reluctance to stop time? Is it harder for him than teleportation?

Oh yeah, and Matt Parkman is a frakkin' idiot.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At May 22, 2007 at 10:23 AM, Blogger Michele said...

I can't even talk about Parkman, it's too annoying.

I want to know:

1. Why can't Peter fly on his own? I mean, he has figured out how to use all of the other powers he has associated with.

2. Won't Peter continue to have problems with blowing up after this? Based on what we have seen so far, the assumption would be that he still won't be able to control it after this particular instance.

3. Why couldn't Claire just shoot Peter?

I think I had more questions, but that is all I can think of at the moment.

I also expected more of a fight...the punching reminded me of a bar fight or something.

 
At May 22, 2007 at 12:19 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

THANK YOU. For a mind-reader, not so smart.

1. EXACTLY. Apparently he suddenly lost the ability to control/use his powers. Um... why??? Also, I expect an explanation next season about Simone's dad, dammit.

2. Yeah, I'm not sure what the symbolic or narrative importance of the blowing up is, other than to end the chapter/volume. The way they play it up, it seems almost orgasmic, which is... weird.

3. Well, the obvious reason is so he'd still be alive (although I'm not quite sure why they couldn't just later dislodge the bullet from his head, since Claire and Peter have BOTH died before and come back to life that way). I guess maybe the idea was that Nathan was sacrificing himself to save his brother? But, again, I don't understand why Peter could die and come back. Heck, DL could just pull the bullet out after the crisis was averted.

 
At May 25, 2007 at 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Because Peter uses powers by channeling the emotions that he felt when first gaining the powers. With Ted, that's panic and fear of losing control. So, when he feels panicked or out-of-control, he gets The Glowy. Hard to channel the ecstacy of flight, or sibling rivalry, or whatever towards Nathan when he's having trouble keeping his panic attack under control.

2. Probably. I'm guessing that killing Nathan provides the impetus to learn to keep himself in check.

3. Because the bullet would presumably cause lasting, permanent damage by ripping through his brain, instead of going in a bit and getting stuck like a branch or a shard of glass.

 
At May 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Leif! It's been too long.

1. Interesting theory, but I'm not sure I agree. IIRC, Peter didn't feel panic until AFTER he absorbed Ted's powers. Immediately beforehand, he might have been a little bit on high alert, but he didn't get panicky until AFTER Claire hugged her dad and Ted walked over to him and his hands started glowing. Also, Ted himself had trouble controlling his powers until after he killed his wife, so it may simply be that his power is inherently volatile.

2. Which, now that I think about it, may completely take care of 2. Maybe it's just a matter of getting the powers under control.

3. I like this take, because it at least makes the shooting thing seem like it mattered. During the last two episodes, I was constantly irritated because, why is shooting Peter such a big deal? I wonder if this could play into how he somehow ends up with a scar in one of the timelines. Hmmm...

 
At June 5, 2007 at 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LF, number one is eeeeeeasy. Remember what Peter said to Claude: "I don't have to forget them, I have to remember how they made me feel!" Ted made him feel panicked and out-of-control - presumably until he realized that he wasn't supposed to blow up until after the election, so clearly there was nothing to worry about right after the absorption.

 
At June 8, 2007 at 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Related: I agree that Ted's power is probably inherently volatile. Of course, so was Ted. Sylar, who is largely an unfeeling bastard, has no trouble controlling Ted's radioactive abilities.

My guess with the scar was that something happened to Peter with the Hatian around preventing Peter from regenerating. By the time he got out of the Hatian's influence, it was too late to fully regenerate.

I cannot believe I am discussing this in such depth. Of course, I also bought a Green Lantern t-shirt at Target last week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home