Saturday, May 14, 2005

Looks like the joke's on me

Today is my sister's birthday. I sent her a box of stuff, which she got this afternoon, and she seemed to like everything. Cool. I love picking stuff out for people when they enjoy it.

So last year for my birthday my sister did this really sweet thing. And by sweet I mean diabolically evil. My birthday fell on a Sunday, and I had spent the evening before partying and dancing and drinking, meaning I stayed out VERY late. I stumbled into bed at an obscene hour and blacked out. A very short time later, around 6:00 AM or so, my cell phone rings. Groggy and hoarse, I answer the phone: "hullo?" And I'm greeted with a rousing rendition of the Happy Birthday song (which I won't reprint here out of fear of prosecution for copyright infringement). How kind of her. I vowed revenge.

I went to bed last night (this morning) almost giddy. I set my alarm for 7:00 (6:00 Colorado time), planning to repay my sister's kindness. When my alarm went off, I dragged my head from my pillow and picked up my phone. I vaguely remember scrolling down to her number and hitting "call" (early morning memories are even groggier, for me, than drunk memories). I put the phone to my ear and heard... nothing. It wasn't ringing. I furrowed my brow, hung up, and called again. Again, no ring. After a minute or two: "Hi, this is Noelle..." It had sent me straight to voicemail.

She had turned her phone off!!!!

Who turns their phone off, ever? I mean, I can see maybe putting it on vibrate when you need it to be quiet, but off? I know people who don't even turn off their phones on airplanes (by the way, for the record, this does not make the plane crash). It's like she knew I was going to wake her up.

I'm really pissed now. I set my alarm early just so I could wake her up, and it didn't even work! I'm really gonna get her back now. This time, when she's least expecting it.

Mwahahahahaha.

3 Comments:

At May 15, 2005 at 10:19 PM, Blogger Micah said...

I actually turn my phone off every night right before bed. Of course, no one ever calls me and I have never used more than a third of my alotted minutes, so my situation's different. If I was like some of my friends and my cell was my only phone, sure I wouldn't turn it off. (BTW, my nerdy friend said that it is good to turn off your phone - if even for a minute - once a day, but I forget why.)

You ought to buy a wake-up call from a has-been celebrity for your sister. I wish I could remember the site.

 
At May 15, 2005 at 10:22 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Ah, yes. Get your wake-up calls here. I remember they once offered one from the late Fred "Rerun" Berry. Wish I would've gotten one from him.

 
At May 17, 2005 at 10:18 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

NICE.

I too would have appreciated a call from Rerun. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home