Monday, October 31, 2005

Into the fray

Since so many others are doing it, I decided today, partly out of sheer boredom at work, to jump on the NaNoWriMo bandwagon. The idea is I'm supposed to churn out a piece of work, at least 50,000 words (which supposedly qualifies as a "short novel") by the end of November. I can't start actually writing until tonight at midnight, which isn't going to happen because I will be in bed then. But it will start shortly thereafter.

I'm actually pretty excited about this. Sure, I have a full-time job now (when the partner I work for has things for me to do, anyway), but I've always thought I'd like to write a book, and this seems to be a good way to motivate me. The working title of my novel is The Magical-tastic Turkey. It doesn't have a plot yet, or even a genre. But I like the name. It's kind of fun and seasonal and random. ... or is it?

He he he.

9 Comments:

At October 31, 2005 at 5:59 PM, Blogger Micah said...

I think you'll have plenty of free time to work on your book. You seem to blog waaaaay more now that you have a full-time big law firm job than when you were a student. How the hell does that happen?

 
At October 31, 2005 at 7:18 PM, Blogger Eve said...

We hyperverbal types can do 1800 words a day easy! Especially when it doesn't have to be high-quality!! Looking forward to reading your Turkey Novel!!

 
At October 31, 2005 at 7:19 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Seriously! I haven't figured that one out yet. Hopefully the answer is something that will make me very wealthy :D

 
At October 31, 2005 at 7:19 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Hehe, thanks Eve -- I'm looking forward to reading your Barzam story!

 
At November 1, 2005 at 5:47 PM, Blogger Micah said...

Just surfing some blogs and found one that has a lil' countdown graphic about this contest that you may be interested in: go here.

Now get back to work!

 
At November 3, 2005 at 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't there supposed to be a theme, or a storyline, or a plot, or the like? Hmm, I've got an idea for a novel, several in fact, but in this one, a lawyer dies. It's OK, one lives too.

Casca

 
At November 3, 2005 at 8:45 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Most good novel do have plots, true. But I'm an open-minded writer.

Perhaps I'll kill off a lawyer or two, myself...

 
At November 5, 2005 at 11:56 AM, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

Indeed I'm doing it, as you already noted via my alter ego, but I am so already a day behind. It's harder than I thought, and I don't have as much inspiration for the novel as I'd like.

 
At November 7, 2005 at 9:59 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I'm way more than a day or two behind. I have like five lines of dialogue. What I have trouble avoiding is making it sound too much like an autobiography -- not because I don't think my life is interesting, but because I don't want people reading it and thinking, she did WHAT? She thinks WHAT about me?

Of course, gosh, I guess for that matter I shouldn't be blogging. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home