Friday, January 20, 2006

I don't get it

Could someone please explain the new MGD ads to me? I don't get it.

I'm talking about the ones where people in various clubs/bars will be pleading with the bartender to give them a bottle of Miller, protesting "I'm 25!" There's some allusion to needing to be thirty to sip the carbonated concoction.

Is the point that if you look 30 or younger you get carded? If so, how did these people get into the club in the first place?

Is the point that Miller is for old people (the spin word for this is "sophisticated")? Don't worry, Miller -- my 24-year-old self prefers martinis to average-ish yeast-based beverages anyway.

I'm probably thinking too much about this, but I really don't understand the commercial.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At January 20, 2006 at 7:38 PM, Blogger jasdye said...

i think it's about the 'grown-up taste' of crappy beer.

 
At January 21, 2006 at 1:28 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

That's what I figured... they just don't do a very good job (imho) of getting the point across.

And I'd be *pissed* on the *OFF-CHANCE* I felt like a Miller, and someone was telling me I was too young. That's messed up.

 
At January 23, 2006 at 11:16 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

Yeah, agreed. It seems to me as though they are marketing against a significant portion of what is probably their bread-and-butter audience: young frat/college kids.

Completely ineffective marketing campaign. Someone should be fired.

 
At January 24, 2006 at 8:29 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Seriously! Anyone I know who's old enough and/or smart enough to have learned a real *appreciation* for alcoholic beverages (as opposed to finding the cheapest way to oblivion -- which isn't Miller anyway, since crappy vodka's much quicker) realized long ago how bad Miller sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home