Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Secretx8

Okay, Andy tagged me, so I guess I need to do this. I'm supposed to tell you eight secret-type things about myself. I say "secret-type" because I don't tell real secrets. Seriously, I'm like the best secret-keeper ever. People tell me their secrets all the time and I've never told them to anyone. And that's only SOMETIMES because when they told me the secret I was drunk and now I just plain can't remember it.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I've done this one before. Oh well. I'll try not to repeat myself.

1. I've never seen any of the Godfather movies. Worse still, I once tried watching the first one, and I found it boring so I stopped watching it. So there you have it. Go ahead and throw your stones at the computer screen, or whatever.

2. Along the movie lines, I hate romantic comedies. Sorry. I just do. There's seriously like four plots floating around out there, and I've seen all of them about a dozen times each. That's more than enough.

3. In a remarkable stroke of immaturity/inability to move beyond the past, there are a few things about law school that, to this day, still make me irrationally bitter and angry.

4. I'm a very nice drunk. This actually isn't much of a secret, considering how many people have seen me drunk.

5. I have friends who still think I'm a virgin (it happens when you grow up in God City, USA). I remember being back home a couple years ago and having dinner with a few friends from back in the day, one of whom had recently gotten married. He was telling us the story of how he and his wife met and ended up getting married, etc. At one point the other two friends were engaged in a side conversation, and he leaned in and whispered to me: "Sex is great. Seriously, it was so worth waiting" and gave me a knowing look. I just smiled at him and thought "awww, that's so cute."

6. I went to my first sci-fi convention-type event last month. I've been a total sci-fi nerd/geek (although I cannot get a handle on which one is the correct word) for more than half my life now, so I guess it was about time. It was pretty cool, actually, and really more of a wading pool in the water park of sci-fi gatherings. It was billed as an "all-access" event that I think was essentially a pre-Emmy publicity event to which they opted to invite plain old fans as well as the press. Pretty awesome of them, actually. The coolest part? I got to shake hands with the great Edward James Olmos.



7. I have an escape plan for when the zombies attack. Mark my words, they are coming.

8. One night when I was waiting tables in college, one of my professors came into the restaurant on a date with another professor. I was totally oblivious and figured, oh, they're just two colleagues having a drink together. Apparently either I'm an idiot or my professor had verbal diarrhea, because he stopped me at one point while I was walking past and gave the creepiest speech I've ever heard to justify the fact that, unbeknownst to me, I'd just caught him with the woman who was currently breaking up his marriage, which was not yet finally dissolved. Yeah... I so needed to know that.

I would tag people, but I've been so bad about blogging that I'm not even sure who bothers checking this thing anymore. So -- if you read my blog, and haven't already done this one, consider yourself tagged. And please leave me a comment letting me know you're doing it, so I can hop over and take a look at your deep dark secrets ;)

Labels: , , ,

27 Comments:

At July 4, 2007 at 12:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Who is that 'no-sex-before-marriage' man from God City, USA? I remember a few people like him.

 
At July 4, 2007 at 9:29 AM, Blogger Andy said...

Wooo, cool shot of EJO! He gave the commencement address at my college my freshman year. At the time he was under threat of assassination from some militant Mexican group or something (seriously, he'd pissed them off somehow) and so we had armed guards all over the amphitheater while he was speaking. I was in the choir and sitting right behind him thinking, "Please, nobody miss, okay?" : (

 
At July 4, 2007 at 9:52 AM, Blogger Gino said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At July 4, 2007 at 9:54 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

John-Michael, I won't use last names (too googlable) -- but at the dinner with me were Liv, Thomas, and Kyle. So, I will let you figure out who in that group might have gotten married a couple years ago :)

Totally nice and decent guy, but, you know, just not my world anymore.

Andy, EJO came to our undergrad too, but it was the year before my freshman year. I remember seeing posters about it all over the student center... they sure took their time getting old poster removed ;)

I am glad you weren't hit by a stray bullet. And that EJO went on to film great TV shows :)

 
At July 4, 2007 at 9:56 AM, Blogger Gino said...

wanna get drunk and discuss feminist issues while watching the godfather series?

 
At July 4, 2007 at 9:59 AM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Gino, the drunk and feminist issues parts sound awesome. Could we keep the TV volume on low? :D

 
At July 4, 2007 at 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not a virgin? WHAT? My life is over.

 
At July 4, 2007 at 9:31 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

I don't even wanna think why Dick Posner would give two shits about my hymen :P

 
At July 5, 2007 at 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate romantic comedies, too. Ew.

 
At July 5, 2007 at 11:41 AM, Blogger Bianca Reagan said...

he leaned in and whispered to me: "Sex is great. Seriously, it was so worth waiting" and gave me a knowing look. I just smiled at him and thought "awww, that's so cute."

I'm sure it is great...for him. I'd love to hear his wife's version of the story, having relations with someone with no previous experience.

 
At July 5, 2007 at 12:37 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Cara, seriously.

Bianca, you silly. Don't you know women don't like teh sex? What she thinks is irrelevant!

 
At July 5, 2007 at 7:22 PM, Blogger Gino said...

obviously been wasting too much time choosing the wrong sex partners.../sarcasm

 
At July 5, 2007 at 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great EJO pic! And yes, it was slight Emmy-bait but it was also interim press. Six more months to a new BSG ep is too long!

 
At July 5, 2007 at 10:29 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Gino... I'm confused. Was that an insult?

Margie, I KNOW. I've resorted to obsessively posting on the skiffy boards and scouring the interweb for spoilers. ::feels shame::

 
At July 6, 2007 at 2:56 AM, Blogger Gino said...

no. bad attempt at humor.

 
At July 7, 2007 at 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a huge fan of most romantic comedies myself.

As for The Godfather, well, I'll just keep that to myself

-Linnaeus

 
At July 8, 2007 at 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When ever I go to shopping malls I always get the feeling that the dawn of the zombies is already here. They just haven't started hungering for our brains yet.

Please TLF don't hate me, because that would really make me feel terrible.

Your's with an olive branch
Itazura.

PS I can change, really I can, just give me a chance.

 
At July 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

LF, I've watched Godfather I and felt like I was under intense pressure to enjoy it... and I didn't. So you're not the only one.

 
At July 11, 2007 at 1:58 PM, Blogger Bianca Reagan said...

I watched The Godfather and I liked it. But I didn't understand why that girl that Michael married in Italy had to get naked in front of the camera, while Al Pacino remained fully clothed. And why did Sunny have to constantly cheat on his wife? What a louse.

 
At July 15, 2007 at 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But I didn't understand why that girl that Michael married in Italy had to get naked in front of the camera, while Al Pacino remained fully clothed."

Key word: "Al Pacino". That's why.

 
At July 15, 2007 at 8:39 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Gino, happens to the best of us.

Linnaeus, hehe.

Itazura, I don't hate you. I don't even know you. I still think your comments on feministing were offensive and way off-base. As for zombies in the mall, some might say Dawn of the Dead has already happened :)

Quinn, thank you.

Bianca, well duh. Because men are people and women are sex objects. I mean, everyone knows THAT.

 
At July 16, 2007 at 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Bianca, well duh. Because men are people and women are sex objects. I mean, everyone knows THAT. "

Yes, even women know that. Just walking into a mall tells me they like it that way. Because we always have a choice. Somehow, I am starting to wonder with that choice crap though. Let's just call it limited choice.

 
At July 16, 2007 at 2:54 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

Just walking into a mall tells me they like it that way.

Yes, I'm sure the 13-year-old girls imitating Britney Spears are fully cognizant of the consequences of their choices. I mean, really, statutory rape victims are just getting what they wanted.

/sarcasm

If by "limited choice" you mean that women's preferences are shaped by an overtly misogynist society and the fact that they only experience approval if they fit into sexist molds, then I actually agree with you for once.

 
At July 16, 2007 at 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Yes, I'm sure the 13-year-old girls imitating Britney Spears are fully cognizant of the consequences of their choices. I mean, really, statutory rape victims are just getting what they wanted."

I wasn't talking about rape. Did you see rape in any of my comments? That said; how do you know you are making better choices than that 13 year old? How do you know that having sex right now will not effect your relationship in the future. How do you know buying certain materials doesn't kill someone directly? What makes you smarter than, let's say me?



"If by "limited choice" you mean that women's preferences are shaped by an overtly misogynist society and the fact that they only experience approval if they fit into sexist molds, then I actually agree with you for once."

You should agree with me a lot more than that betty friedman croud. Ick.

And yes, a lot of women (especially younger women) seek approval from their "best" friends or popular voices all the time. Make some personal decisions for God's sake. How is that for "independent" thinking.

 
At July 16, 2007 at 8:04 PM, Blogger Law Fairy said...

knights, do you come here just to antagonize? I'm almost done bothering.

 
At July 16, 2007 at 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"knights, do you come here just to antagonize? I'm almost done bothering. "

That's why you misunderstand me sooo much.

 
At July 18, 2007 at 8:15 PM, Blogger LawSchoolBlogger said...

back in middle school, two of my teachers had affairs. with each other. rumor was they were doing it at school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home